Richard is a Senior Associate in our Corporate Commercial department, specialising in Commercial Law, IT and IP. He regularly supports clients with the negotiation of transaction-specific commercial contracts relating to the supply and distribution of goods and services, the licensing of software and intellectual property, and the preparation of the client’s model contract documentation and standard terms and conditions.
Richard has acted for clients in both the public and private sectors and has experience representing a variety of businesses, including SMEs, small start-ups and owner-managed companies, as well as public bodies and PLCs. He uses his experience of acting on both the buy-side and the supply-side to provide pragmatic, solution-focused advice. He has worked with clients including a national supermarket chain, a premier league football club, the operators of a public transport ticketing scheme and a road tolling scheme, and a range of clients purchasing or providing IT services, becoming a trusted advisor to the businesses he represents.
Richard has spent time in-house on secondment with a national broadcaster and a local authority, as well as with businesses in the hospitality and telecoms sectors. He has extensive experience in the retail sector, having acted on the commercial contracts retainer of a national supermarket chain for several years, and supported them with ‘business as usual’ contracts as well as the roll-out of a range of national projects.
Richard has advised on a wide variety of contracts with an IT/ Tech focus, including agreements relating to the development, supply and maintenance of hardware and software solutions, website and e-commerce arrangements, and the provision of Software-as-a-Service. He has specific experience in issues arising from complex distribution arrangements in the telecoms and financial/professional services sectors and in arrangements involving complex supply chains and sub-contracting, including those arising from the performance of public contracts.
Richard studied Classics and English at the University of Oxford and was awarded a first-class honours degree. Following a career as a secondary school teacher, he undertook the Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course before completing his training contract with Cobbetts LLP, where he qualified in 2011. Richard subsequently joined DWF Law LLP before joining the Corporate Commercial team at Myerson in 2022.
Expertise and Past Cases
Examples of notable work undertaken by Richard are:
- advising a national supermarket chain on a range of projects in connection with the purchase of goods and services, outsourcing and procurement arrangements, the operation of store and car-park based concessions, and the provision of novel services to customers;
- advising the operator of a public road tolling scheme on issues arising from the operation of the scheme, including sub-contracting arrangements;
- advising a business operating as an intermediary in the telecoms sector on distribution arrangements with national networks in respect of the downstream supply of telecoms services;
- advising the operator of a regional public transport ticketing scheme on matters arising from the introduction of ‘smart ticketing’, and the re-negotiation of associated commercial arrangements; and
- advising a sports marketing business on arrangements relating to the development and commercialisation of an app used by football clubs on a ‘white labelled’ basis
Richard is a member of the Society for Computers and Law (SCL). SCL is an educational charity that provides advanced training in Technology law.
The firm is a member of the Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (ILPA). The ILPA is an association of 66 law firms that have an established Intellectual Property department.