Our Employment Tribunal Services
Our Employment lawyers have a wide range of experience across the whole employment litigation spectrum.
Most contentious employment matters are dealt with in the Employment Tribunal (such as unfair dismissal and discrimination claims). However, parties can also take action through the Courts such as for high value, breach of contract claims and obtaining or defending injunction applications.
Our Employment lawyers collectively have over fifty years’ experience in advising both employers and employees in the Employment Tribunals and the Courts. All members of our team have advocacy experience and we are specialists in dealing with complex, high value cases.
We have particular expertise in relation to claims and group actions concerned with:
- Discrimination and unfair treatment connected with pregnancy or maternity;
- Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (TUPE) and business transfers;
- Collective or mass redundancies;
- Claims in relation to consultation on business transfers and mass redundancies;
- Employment rights on employer insolvency, administration, reorganisation and restructuring.
Our Employment Tribunal Experience
- Acting for a group of 45 former employees, on a multi-million pound, multi-party TUPE employment tribunal claim arising out of the collapse of an international IT outsourcing provider
- Representing various individuals in relation to discrimination claims against current or former employers, leading to the achievement of six figure settlement sums, including claims against two different FTSE 100 companies
- Representing senior women on maternity leave who are subjected to discrimination or refused the right to return to their jobs, including claims against a national retailer and a local authority
- Acting for an employee in relation to her claim against her FTSE 100 employer involving discrimination, breach of the Data Protection Act and incorrect information on her personnel file
Our Employment Approach
Our specialist team of employment solicitors is described in the independent Legal 500 directory as “excellent”. In addition, both Partners in our team are recommended by the Legal 500. Therefore, you can be reassured that you will deal with some of the best employment solicitors in the country.
We are determined and robust on your behalf, but also easy to deal with and clear in our advice. We will fight your corner but understand that a common sense approach is often required in order to find solutions that work for you in the context of your professional and personal circumstances.
In particular, we offer:
- Clear and straightforward advice.
- Cost-effective support and certainty on costs where you need it.
- Extensive experience of advising senior executives, directors, partners and others with complex employment concerns, including discrimination issues and group claims.
- A credible team that is used to dealing with and acting against large employers and law firms on behalf of our clients.
Our Approach to Costs
We know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients. As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs involved in undertaking any piece of work at the outset. We then provide costs updates on a regular basis.
Why Work With Our Employment Team?
In particular, our employment lawyers offer the following:
- City centre standards of employment law advice and service levels due to our policy of recruiting only the best specialist employment solicitors from leading firms.
- Clear and straightforward UK employment law advice that is user-friendly, pragmatic, and commercial.
- Extensive experience in dealing with various employers, employees, and employment law disputes, giving you fast, helpful counsel based on knowledge of your business, its history, and pressures.
- A credible team of employment law solicitors that are used to dealing with and providing legal representation against large employers and law firms on behalf of our clients.
- A partner-led service and a genuinely accessible team of experienced employment law solicitors due to our size, structure, and unique culture.
- Cost-effective support tailored to your unique employment issues and certainty on costs where you need it.
Employment Group Actions For Individuals
Employment Group Actions often involve mass redundancies and or ‘TUPE’, the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006. However, they can also involve unpaid wages or group grievances.
In addition to our specialist legal knowledge in this area, we have extensive experience in managing complexities around funding, cost-sharing and the dynamics of employment-related multi-party disputes and legal actions.
Can I Make an Employment Group Action Claim?
Common claims may include claims for redundancy payments, unfair dismissal, unpaid wages, bonuses or other unpaid remuneration, discrimination and failure to inform and consult (in relation to mass redundancies or a business transfer or reorganisation).
Collective disputes can be highly complex and require a thoughtful and bespoke approach. Our Employment Group Action solicitors provide clear and straightforward advice and we are experienced in managing the dynamics of a group action efficiently and effectively.
We have a proven track record and we are focused on achieving effective and affordable results.
There is strength and safety in numbers. As well as ensuring efficiency and cost effectiveness, acting as a Group or Class of employees in legal proceedings is powerful because the combined value of claims can be extremely high – employers cannot ignore Group Actions.
How Much Does it Cost to Bring a Group Claim?
The advantage of a group claim is that proceedings can be efficiently managed and costs can be shared amongst members of a group, particularly where the group uses one lawyer and has agreed shared objectives
Our Employment Group Action solicitors are experienced in managing cost sharing arrangements. We will set out the costs clearly at the outset and explain how costs can be minimised throughout.
We are also experienced in dealing with insurance companies in connection with costs assistance.
- Acting for a group of part-time cabin crew employees in a claim of indirect sex discrimination;
- Acting for a group of over 40 employees in complex proceedings for unpaid wages, notice monies, unfair dismissal and protective awards for failure to consult (over a period of 4 years) arising out of a business transfer following insolvency;
- Acting for a major manufacturer and two other employers in relation to a multi-party claim in the context of TUPE and collective redundancies;
- Representing a group of airline employees in a collective grievance following a transfer of employment;
- Acting for various clients (including an airline and a retail client) in relation to claims in connection with TUPE (the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006).
Meet Our Employment Solicitors
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our employment lawyers are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Jo is a Partner and Head of our Employment Team
Jo is a Partner in both our Employment and Compliance Teams
Charlotte is the Head of Myerson HR and a Partner in our Employment Team
Patrick is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team
Jack is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team
Vicki is an Associate in our Employment Team
Amy is a Solicitor in our Employment Team
Kurt is a Solicitor in our Employment Team
Victoria is a Trainee Solicitor in our Employment Team
Meghan is a Senior Legal PA in our Employment Team
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Employment Law News
The Government recently published its response to a consultation that sought to address issues with the current laws around working time, holidays, and TUPE. As part of that, the Government has published draft regulations called the Employment...Read Blog
The Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Bill received Royal Assent on 18 September 2023, becoming the Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Act 2023. For more information on the Bill's proposals, please see our previous blog here on...Read Blog
The Myerson Employment Team bring you their Top Employment Law Updates You Must Know. Our expert Employment Team guide you through the latest developments in the world of employment law. The topics for this seminar include: AI and employment law...Watch Webinar
Technology created the gig economy and, as a sector, was an early adopter of using self-employed staff to add important skill sets to their businesses. Walk through any UK city, and you will see self-employed Uber drivers ferrying passengers back...Read Blog
New announcements by the Labour Party have revealed that should the party win the next general election in 2024, employers can expect significant changes to employment laws and employee rights. The Labour Party has committed to implementing an...Read Blog