Increasingly, businesses and individuals are looking at more flexible ways of engagement than a traditional employment model.
Our lawyers at Myerson regularly advise clients on engagement terms for consultants and contractors. We also advise on the regulations that apply to agency workers and zero-hours contracts.
Advice relates to issues surrounding employment status, notice requirements, practical issues such as indemnities and insurance and the potential tax consequences of such arrangements.
We also advise clients in relation to umbrella companies, managed service companies and the IR35 tax provisions.
Our lawyers at Myerson are also able to provide specialist advice in relation to the rights and protections afforded to commercial agents.
Recent examples of our work in this area include:
- Drafting and advising on consultancy agreements, including agreements direct with individual consultants and agreements via a personal service company;
- Drafting and advising on the limitations around zero hours contracts for both employer and employees;
- Advising on the entitlement to auto-enrolment pension arrangements for workers, contractors and consultants in a transport business;
- Assisting a senior executive in his move from a directorship role to a self-employed consultancy arrangement.
If you would like assistance in relation to a contractor, consultant or commercial agent arrangement, please contact a member of our employment team.
Why use Myerson’s Employment Team?
Our specialist team of employment solicitors is described in the independent Legal 500 directory as “excellent”. In addition, both Partners in our team are recommended by the Legal 500. Therefore, you can be reassured that you will deal with some of the best employment solicitors in the country.
We are determined and robust on your behalf, but also easy to deal with and clear in our advice. We will fight your corner but understand that a common sense approach is often required in order to find solutions that work for you in the context of your professional and personal circumstances.
Collectively, we have over fifty years’ experience of providing strategic employment law advice to senior individuals and others facing difficult work-place issues and who need support and guidance in:
- understanding their legal rights and their practical options; and
- achieving the best possible outcome, whether at the start, during or at the end of their working relationship.
Our ethos is to provide our clients with an alternative to the major regional and national firms by offering high quality legal advice from highly experienced, specialist lawyers, but on a much more cost-effective basis.
In particular, we offer:
- Clear and straightforward advice.
- Cost-effective support and certainty on costs where you need it.
- Extensive experience of advising senior executives, directors, partners and others with complex employment concerns, including discrimination issues and group claims.
- A credible team that is used to dealing with and acting against large employers and law firms on behalf of our clients.
Our approach to costs
We know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients. As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs involved in undertaking any piece of work at the outset. We then provide costs updates on a regular basis.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives for a particular piece of work and in relation to costs. In addition, we are happy to discuss fixed fees and retainer arrangements if that is helpful to you.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Contractors, Consultants and Commercial Agents issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.