Our EIS and SEIS Service
Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) are HMRC approved tax reliefs for individuals who decide to invest in shares in certain qualifying companies. They exist to encourage individuals to invest in small, higher-risk trading companies to help such companies to raise funding, other than by way of loans.
The headline benefits of each scheme include the following:
- EIS : Income Tax relief of 30% on the amount invested, for example if the investment was £100,000, £30,000 would be deducted from the individual’s income tax bill; and
- SEIS : Income Tax relief of 50% on the amount invested, which would be a £50,000 income tax reduction on a £100,000 investment.
Capital Gains Tax
Both schemes provide that on the disposal of shares which qualify for either EIS or SEIS relief, the proceeds of such sale are exempt from capital gains tax.
Please note that to qualify for such benefits numerous conditions must be met by both the investor and the company, including that the shares must be held for a minimum of 3 years.
Our Approach to EIS and SEIS
Obtaining SEIS and EIS relief is complex and fraught with difficulties. We therefore work closely with your tax advisor to ensure that the investor and the company being invested in satisfies the necessary requirements with regards to qualifying for the relevant relief. It is crucial to make sure that during the process of setting up the structure and carrying out the fundraising, the correct procedures are followed so that investors do not lose the benefit of the relevant relief, for example:
- ensuring that the company’s share capital is appropriate;
- drafting articles of association so that they qualify for the relevant relief, whilst making sure that the relevant parties have suitable protections/restrictions;
- if both SEIS and EIS investments are being offered at the same time, to ensure that they are carried out in the correct order; and
- preventing any associations between the investors and the company prior to the date of the investment, in particular in relation to directorships and loans.
Our Experience with EIS and SEIS
We have acted for many investors and the investee companies in relation to the EIS/SEIS investments, including the following recent transactions:
- Acting for an investor in relation to an investment in an online luxury goods marketplace which involved both an SEIS investment and an EIS investment;
- Acting for a food recipe box business in respect of raising both SEIS and EIS and funds from various investors, including utilising an Advanced Purchase Agreement;
- Advising an investor in relation to an EIS investment in a wine import business;
- Advising an investor in relation to an SEIS and EIS investment in a financial advisory business; and
- Restructuring a company which is start a dog café business so that it qualifies for SEIS and EIS investment, advising and managing the fundraising process.
Why Work With Our Corporate Lawyers?
- We have been ranked as a Top Tier law firm by the Legal 500 for the last seven years.
- You will receive city-quality corporate law advice at regional prices.
- Price transparency - we provide our clients with an estimate at the outset of any piece of work with ongoing updates throughout the matter.
- Our 5 Corporate Partner led service ensures you receive the very best legal advice and commercially minded support.
- We have a large team with experience across a diverse variety of sectors, focused on achieving your objectives and hitting your deadlines.
- We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently and our Corporate Lawyers can draw on support from other specialist lawyers such as property and employment lawyers.
- Our Corporate Solicitors use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible and that geographical distance is no bar to us from providing you excellent client service.
- We were the winners of ‘Corporate Team of the Year 2021’ at the Manchester Legal Awards.
- Take a look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.
Meet Our Corporate Solicitors
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our corporate solicitors are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Mohammed Akeel Latif
Akeel is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Team
Scott is a Partner in our Corporate Team
Andrew is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Chris is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Terry is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams. Terry is also the Head of the Brexit Team at Myerson
Ryan is a Senior Associate in our Corporate Team
Palma is a Solicitor in our Corporate Team at Myerson.
Simon is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Fran is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Luke is a Solicitor in the Corporate Team
Charlotte is a Solicitor in our Corporate Team
Olivia is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Dionne Elgott is a Trainee Solicitor in our Corporate Team
Megan Powers is a Legal PA in the Corporate and Commercial Teams
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Corporate Law News
In recent years, there has been an increasing trend of manufacturing businesses being sold due to an unexpected offer by a buyer, often as a trade sale to a competitor, but also in the context of private equity. This can create a dilemma for...Read Blog
A shareholders' agreement and the company's articles of association ( Articles ) are important constitutional documents for a company , particularly where there is more than one shareholder. The documents both serve different purposes and have...Read Blog
Central to any business are its relationships with customers, suppliers, employees, and investors. The day-to-day running, operations, and overall management pivot around these relationships and as such, these relationships have always been at the...Read Blog
Myerson Solicitors is pleased to share the news that their Corporate Team has had its most successful year to date. Throughout the firm's 2022/2023 Financial Year, the Corporate Team has been involved in deals with an aggregate value in excess of...Read News
When appointed to the board of a company, a director has seven general duties codified under the Companies Act 2006 ( Act ) which are legal obligations owed to the company ( Duties ). These Duties are in addition to any obligations owed under the...Read Blog