Our Discipline and Grievance Service
Employers must effectively manage discipline and grievance procedures as part of the ongoing management of their workforce. Employment Tribunals expect employers to have adhered to fair procedures when dealing with misconduct, poor performance and poor attendance. Failure to take the correct approach can lead to both procedural and substantive unfairness and give rise to claims of unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal and discrimination. An employer’s failure to properly respond to an employee grievance can lead to claims of constructive dismissal.
Our employment solicitors are experienced in advising on a wide range of disciplinary and grievance matters across different sectors, advising on strategy as well as assisting at each step in the process including investigation and documenting outcomes.
It is essential to get these procedures right from the outset and we will be here to guide you and your business throughout. Our approachable employment solicitors will be your trusted advisors offering clear and straightforward legal advice that supports your commercial objectives.
We provide the following support to our clients:
- advising on disciplinary investigations
- preparing scripts for disciplinary meetings
- drafting disciplinary outcomes and disciplinary warnings
- preparing disciplinary procedures and advising on procedural matters
- advising on complex cases involving overlapping discipline, grievance and whistleblowing matters
- advising on sensitive cases involving bullying, harassment and discrimination
- preparing grievance outcomes.
We are also able to provide support in cases involving procedures for managing poor attendance, underperformance through ill-health and disability issues. We can assist with:
- preparing procedural documents and advising on procedural issues
- referrals to medical advisers and occupational health advisers
- consideration of disability discrimination issues including the requirement for reasonable adjustments
Advice on disciplinary, grievance and other similar procedures can be provided as part of the on-going support we provide to our clients under our Myerson HR retainer service.
Employment Law Update | Autumn 2023
Why Work With Our Employment Team
In particular, we offer:
- City centre standards of advice and service levels due to our policy of recruiting only the best specialist employment solicitors from leading firms.
- Our employment law solicitors are dedicated to advising on how to achieve your business objectives in the most efficient and practical way. We pride ourselves on providing straightforward and bespoke advice tailored to your business requirements and resources.
- As expert employment lawyers, we understand that employers need to be commercial, decisive and act calmly but quickly when sensitive employment disputes arise.
- Our employment solicitors understand you want speedy and satisfactory resolution to avoid protracted and damaging conflict.
- Your work will be carried out by a qualified employment law solicitor, who knows your business requirements best. Our work is also carried out at the appropriate level, depending on the complexity, sensitivity, and importance of the employment issue.
- We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives and in relation to costs. Our employment solicitors know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients, especially at a time when businesses are challenged by sudden and dramatic changes to economic circumstances.
- Extensive experience of dealing with a wide range of employers and employment disputes, giving you fast, helpful advice, based on knowledge of your business, its history, and pressures.
- A partner-led service and a genuinely accessible team of experienced employment law solicitors due to our size, structure, and unique culture.
Our Discipline and Grievance Experience
Examples of advice provided recently in this area include:
- Advising a restaurant chain client in relation to various disciplinary issues, including customer complaints and theft
- Advising a large manufacturing company in relation to a serious disciplinary matter involving theft by an employee and the involvement of the police
- Advising various employers on compliance with the ACAS Code of Practice on Discipline and Grievance Procedures as well as their own internal disciplinary and grievance processes
- Providing guidance on the right to be accompanied and the management of disciplinary processes involving very sensitive issues, employees who are absent due to ill health and business-critical issues
Our Employment Approach
Our employment solicitors are dedicated to advising on how to achieve your business objectives in the most efficient and practical way. We pride ourselves on providing straightforward and bespoke advice tailored to your business requirements and resources.
We understand that employers need to be commercial, decisive and act calmly but quickly in sensitive employment matters.
Your work will be carried out by a qualified solicitor, who knows your business requirements best. Work is also carried out at the appropriate level, depending on the complexity, sensitivity and importance of the matter.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives and in relation to costs. We know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients, especially at a time when businesses are challenged by sudden and dramatic changes to economic circumstances.
As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs at the outset and provide cost updates on a regular basis.
Meet Our Employment Solicitors
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our employment lawyers are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Jo is a Partner and Head of our Employment Team
Jo is a Partner in both our Employment and Compliance Teams
Charlotte is the Head of Myerson HR and a Partner in our Employment Team
Patrick is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team
Jack is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team
Vicki is an Associate in our Employment Team
Amy is a Solicitor in our Employment Team
Kurt is a Solicitor in our Employment Team
Victoria is a Trainee Solicitor in our Employment Team
Meghan is a Senior Legal PA in our Employment Team
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Employment Law News
The Government recently published its response to a consultation that sought to address issues with the current laws around working time, holidays, and TUPE. As part of that, the Government has published draft regulations called the Employment...Read Blog
The Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Bill received Royal Assent on 18 September 2023, becoming the Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Act 2023. For more information on the Bill's proposals, please see our previous blog here on...Read Blog
The Myerson Employment Team bring you their Top Employment Law Updates You Must Know. Our expert Employment Team guide you through the latest developments in the world of employment law. The topics for this seminar include: AI and employment law...Watch Webinar
Technology created the gig economy and, as a sector, was an early adopter of using self-employed staff to add important skill sets to their businesses. Walk through any UK city, and you will see self-employed Uber drivers ferrying passengers back...Read Blog
New announcements by the Labour Party have revealed that should the party win the next general election in 2024, employers can expect significant changes to employment laws and employee rights. The Labour Party has committed to implementing an...Read Blog