Our Public Limited Companies Service
What is a Public Limited Company?
Public limited companies are limited companies with issued share capital with a nominal value of at least £50,000. Shares in PLCs can be admitted to trading on stock markets and traded by the general public or may be privately held. PLCs are subject to increased regulation when compared to private limited companies.
We regularly act for a number of long-standing PLC clients in relation to all of their legal requirements.
What is the Alternative Investment Market (AIM)?
Originally known as the Alternative Investment Market, AIM is a stock market for smaller, young and fast-growing companies (both UK and international companies).
AIM enables such companies to have market access at an earlier stage of development than would be possible on the London Stock Exchange, which is the operator and regulator of AIM.
In 2004, we advised Wynnstay Group plc in connection with its admission to AIM from Ofex (now ISDX), and its placing of £1,500,000 of new shares. Wynnstay was a complex business which had a turnover in 2003 of £85,000,000 and at the time of the flotation had three trading divisions, four subsidiaries, three joint ventures and two other associated companies and a portfolio of 45 properties.
In 2007, we advised Baqus Group plc on its admission to AIM and placing of shares. In addition and immediately prior to the admission, we advised Baqus on the simultaneous merger of three quantity surveying practices, giving it a national reach.
What is PLUS / ISDX?
Our Corporate Solicitors also have experience advising companies in relation to their admission to trading on PLUS (which has now become ICAP Securities & Derivatives Exchange, also known as ISDX). It is a London based “next generation” stock exchange providing cash trading and listing, derivatives and technology services.
Our Public Limited Companies Experience
Examples of the work and advice we have provided to public limited companies include:
- Listing of Baqus Group plc to AIM;
- Listing of Wynnstay Group plc to AIM (from PLUS);
- Disposal of subsidiary of an IT plc for an undisclosed amount;
- Acquisitions of numerous agricultural companies and businesses for a listed PLC;
- Acquisition of Quantity Surveyor businesses for a listed PLC;
- Acquisitions of businesses and companies for a PLC in the fire and security systems industry;
- Delisting of a company from AIM;
- Private placing of shares for a carpet manufacturer/distributor as part of an Enterprise Investment Scheme;
- Private placing of an Insured Debenture Loan Stock to raise finance for film production;
- Liaising with the Takeover Panel on a Code Waiver; and
- Reregistration of a company as a PLC prior to its sale and liaising with the Takeover Panel in relation to the same.
Why Work With Our Corporate Lawyers?
- We have been ranked as a Top Tier law firm by the Legal 500 for the last seven years.
- You will receive city-quality corporate law advice at regional prices.
- Price transparency - we provide our clients with an estimate at the outset of any piece of work with ongoing updates throughout the matter.
- Our 5 Corporate Partner led service ensures you receive the very best legal advice and commercially minded support.
- We have a large team with experience across a diverse variety of sectors, focused on achieving your objectives and hitting your deadlines.
- We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently and our Corporate Lawyers can draw on support from other specialist lawyers such as property and employment lawyers.
- Our Corporate Solicitors use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible and that geographical distance is no bar to us from providing you excellent client service.
- We were the winners of ‘Corporate Team of the Year 2021’ at the Manchester Legal Awards.
- Take a look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.
Meet Our Specialists
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Mohammed Akeel Latif
Akeel is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Team
Carla is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Team
Scott is a Partner in our Corporate Team
Andrew is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Chris is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Terry is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams. Terry is also the Head of the Brexit Team at Myerson
Ryan is a Senior Associate in our Corporate Team
Olivia is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Simon is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Fran is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Luke is a Solicitor in the Corporate Team
Thomas is a Trainee Solicitor in our Contentious Probate Team
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Corporate Law News
Myerson Solicitors is proud to support Adlington Retirement Living in developing new retirement communities across England. Adlington has secured a landmark £75m development facility from NatWest Group and Homes England. This funding will allow for...Read News
In recent years, there has been an increasing trend of manufacturing businesses being sold due to an unexpected offer by a buyer, often as a trade sale to a competitor, but also in the context of private equity. This can create a dilemma for...Read Blog
A shareholders' agreement and the company's articles of association ( Articles ) are important constitutional documents for a company , particularly where there is more than one shareholder. The documents both serve different purposes and have...Read Blog
Central to any business are its relationships with customers, suppliers, employees, and investors. The day-to-day running, operations, and overall management pivot around these relationships and as such, these relationships have always been at the...Read Blog
Myerson Solicitors is pleased to share the news that their Corporate Team has had its most successful year to date. Throughout the firm's 2022/2023 Financial Year, the Corporate Team has been involved in deals with an aggregate value in excess of...Read News