Our Intra Group Transfers Service
Our specialist Corporate Solicitors can assist you and your business with the full range of intra-group reorganisations, including transfers and demergers.
We are able to structure and deliver practical and effective solutions to meet your requirements.
An intra-group reorganisation is usually the transfer of assets within a group of companies that is undertaken for the purpose of reorganising the group’s structure and the way it carries on business.
An intra-group reorganisation can apply to a large or small transfer of assets or purchase or sale of a company within a group.
Why Carry Out a Group Reorganisation?
Businesses carry out intra-group reorganisations for a number of reasons including:
- To boost administrative, operational or economic efficiencies (for example, centralising business support functions, such as accounts, public relations and human resources or creating greater economies of scale through combining the purchasing power of the group in relation to suppliers, stock and for raw materials);
- As a precursor to an acquisition or sale of a company or business (for example, the target wishes to sell part but not all of its business, or it wishes to amalgamate its business to provide a greater opportunity for a potential purchaser);
- After an acquisition of a company or business (for example, the business and/or assets may be hived up, down or across into another existing operating group company or land or intellectual property may be transferred to another group company and leased back to the operating company; or
- To secure tax advantages and create a more tax efficient group structure (for example, rearranging cash flows, transferring property and assets, amalgamating subsidiaries or creating new companies).
When selling shares or assets in the course of a reorganisation, there are a number of taxes that potentially arise. These include:
- Stamp duty is chargeable on shares, other marketable securities and certain transactions involving partnerships;
- SDLT is chargeable on the transfer of property;
- An asset sale is subject to VAT unless the assets that are the subject of the transfer are exempt. However, no VAT is chargeable where it can be shown that business assets are transferred as a going concern (TOGC) within the meaning of article 5 of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995).
Intra-group transactions are often implemented and documented in a less formal way than arm’s length transactions. For corporate governance reasons, however, it is advisable to follow proper process (for example, seeking consent from third parties where required, satisfying bank requirements and compliance with TUPE) and to properly document reorganisations.
Our Approach to Intra Group Transfers and Reorganisation
Our solicitors have a wealth of experience in Intra Group Transfers and Reorganisation. We provide clear and cost-effective legal advice to make sure you reach the best outcome for your circumstances and needs.
Examples of our work and the transactions we have recently advised on include:
- Reorganisation of share capital for a leading private fertility clinic (along with the introduction of new management shareholders) and a major refinancing and fundraising exercise to establish and fit out a custom made fertility clinic in South Manchester
- Restructuring and refinancing of a range of fruit-based soft drinks to major retailers, including the sale of a majority of the share capital of the company to a large German drinks manufacturer/distributor
- Share re-organisation of a PLC (involving groups of family members and employees), taking account of succession and tax planning
- Group re-organisation and minority shareholder buyout for a major national recruitment company
- Re-organisation of cross-border media business
- Advised on various group reorganisations (and dealing with related bank financing and security requirements) including estate agencies and kitchen manufacturing businesses
Why Work With Our Corporate Lawyers?
- We have been ranked as a Top Tier law firm by the Legal 500 for the last seven years.
- You will receive city-quality corporate law advice at regional prices.
- Price transparency - we provide our clients with an estimate at the outset of any piece of work with ongoing updates throughout the matter.
- Our 5 Corporate Partner led service ensures you receive the very best legal advice and commercially minded support.
- We have a large team with experience across a diverse variety of sectors, focused on achieving your objectives and hitting your deadlines.
- We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently and our Corporate Lawyers can draw on support from other specialist lawyers such as property and employment lawyers.
- Our Corporate Solicitors use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible and that geographical distance is no bar to us from providing you excellent client service.
- We were the winners of ‘Corporate Team of the Year 2021’ at the Manchester Legal Awards.
- Take a look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.
Meet Our Specialists
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Mohammed Akeel Latif
Akeel is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Team
Carla is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Team
Scott is a Partner in our Corporate Team
Andrew is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Chris is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams
Terry is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Teams. Terry is also the Head of the Brexit Team at Myerson
Ryan is a Senior Associate in our Corporate Team
Olivia is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Simon is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Fran is an Associate in our Corporate Team
Luke is a Solicitor in the Corporate Team
Thomas is a Trainee Solicitor in our Contentious Probate Team
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Corporate Law News
Myerson Solicitors is proud to support Adlington Retirement Living in developing new retirement communities across England. Adlington has secured a landmark £75m development facility from NatWest Group and Homes England. This funding will allow for...Read News
In recent years, there has been an increasing trend of manufacturing businesses being sold due to an unexpected offer by a buyer, often as a trade sale to a competitor, but also in the context of private equity. This can create a dilemma for...Read Blog
A shareholders' agreement and the company's articles of association ( Articles ) are important constitutional documents for a company , particularly where there is more than one shareholder. The documents both serve different purposes and have...Read Blog
Central to any business are its relationships with customers, suppliers, employees, and investors. The day-to-day running, operations, and overall management pivot around these relationships and as such, these relationships have always been at the...Read Blog
Myerson Solicitors is pleased to share the news that their Corporate Team has had its most successful year to date. Throughout the firm's 2022/2023 Financial Year, the Corporate Team has been involved in deals with an aggregate value in excess of...Read News