The cost and potential reputational damage of employment litigation means that it is more important than ever to understand employees’ rights and to have policies and procedures in place for managing the employment relationship.
Such knowledge is invaluable in trying to avoid problems escalating to a claim but will also prepare you in the event that litigation does arise.
Most contentious employment matters are dealt with in the Employment Tribunals (such as unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, TUPE and discrimination claims). However, parties can also take action through the Courts for high value breach of contract claims and obtaining or defending injunction applications.
Our employment team has a wide range of experience in advising both employers and employees on the whole spectrum of employment litigation in both the Employment Tribunals and the Courts.
All members of our team have advocacy experience and deal with matters varying from simple, unfair dismissal claims to more complex, high value cases including whistleblowing, TUPE, discrimination and group action claims.
We can provide experienced assistance in handling all contentious matters, whether for employers or employees, from start to finish. This includes providing a case assessment at the outset detailing the legal merits of the case, the potential compensation, costs and our suggested approach to the claim.
Our service also includes dealing with all case management steps, including disclosure of documents, drafting witness statements, attending preliminary hearings, as necessary, as well as dealing with any potential mediation and/or settlement issues.
Recent examples of our Employment Litigation work include:
- Acting for an airline in respect of various Employment Tribunal claims brought by ex-pilots and cabin crew involving unfair dismissal and TUPE issues
- Acting for an airport operator in defending an Employment Tribunal claim by an air traffic controller, securing a withdrawal of the claim
- Acting for a major national law firm in defending a complex discrimination claim brought by a solicitor, including compliance issues involving the Solicitors Regulatory Authority
- Acting for an international manufacturing company in respect of claims brought by ex-employees following a collective redundancy exercise
- Advising a group of 45 former employees in relation to their multi-million pound group action TUPE claim against Thomas Cook Group
- Acting on a complex whistleblowing claim brought by an individual seeking in excess of £1m compensation. Robustly defending all allegations and securing settlement for a nominal sum.
- Representing a number of commercial organisations affected by a claim by a group of employees that their employment should have transferred under TUPE. Securing settlement for a nominal sum.
If you would like more information on how we can help you effectively avoid or manage an employment claim, please speak to a member of our employment team.
For information on the training we provide on avoiding and managing claims, please refer to our Training page.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Employment Litigation – in the Employment Tribunals and the Courts issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.