How We Can Help
As specialists in Commercial Agency Law, we have significant experience in advising agents and principals.
We advise agents at all stages of their agency. We are frequently instructed by agents who are looking to enter into new agency agreements and require assistance with drafting an agency contract. We also regularly act for agents who have had their agencies terminated and are seeking an indemnity or compensation payment under the Commercial Agents Regulations. Often difficulties arise during an agency and we are instructed to advise on issues relating to territory or accounts being brought “in-house”.
The solicitors in our team are happy to discuss your circumstances without obligation. In many cases, we will offer to act pursuant to a “no win, no fee” agreement (also known as a conditional fee arrangement). We understand that an agent seeking indemnity or compensation upon termination of an agency has had a major source of income removed, and we are therefore open to exploring different methods of funding to assist you with your claim.
In light of Brexit changes, we have written a guide on cross border agency claims. The impact of Brexit is on agents and principals with cross border claims. Such claims may involve enforcement of a judgment in another jurisdiction.
Frequently Asked Questions
In the following, we answer some of the frequently asked questions we are asked by both agents and principals. Find out more here.
Myerson is retained as an expert advisor to the members of Agentbase, the Association of Professional Sales Agents and Sales Agents UK. Our litigation team has acted in agency disputes against companies based in Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy and the USA.
Our team’s breadth of experience means Myerson can provide expert legal advice and assistance on all agency matters. We also have developed excellent links with specialist barristers and forensic accountants so that you are provided with a complete team of experts for your case. The barristers we have developed relations with will also often act on a “no win, no fee” basis.
The Myerson commercial litigation team is ranked as “top tier” by the international legal directory, the Legal 500, which acknowledges our expertise in this field.
The Legal 500 highlight the department for its work in commercial agents disputes. The litigation team contains 15 solicitors and is headed by Adam Maher whom the Legal 500 rate as a “Leading individual” and ‘first-class litigator’ with ‘razor-sharp commercial judgement, tenacity and excellent communication skills’; who ‘quickly identifies the core issues’ and is ‘extremely robust under pressure. Suzanne Carr, a commercial agency specialist is also recommended by the Legal 500 as a ‘Rising Star’, recognised widely within the legal industry by peers and clients, specialising within this legal area.
We have acted in numerous cases on behalf of agents and principals, including:
- A claim against a Californian company for compensation. Claim commenced in the High Court and settled for a six-figure payment plus costs at mediation.
- A claim against FTSE 100 company for compensation at termination. Claim commenced in the High Court and settled favourably after court hearing and subsequent mediation with a six-figure payment to client plus costs.
- Successful claims against companies located in Ireland, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Spain and Belgium.
- A claim against a major car parts manufacturer for compensation and underpaid commissions. Claim instigated in High Court and defended vigorously. Matter settled at mediation in London for a substantial payment to the agent.
- A claim against a pharmaceuticals company for underpaid commissions, “pipeline” commissions and compensation.
- A claim on behalf of a Spanish agent for indemnity against UK company.
- Advising a manufacturer of medical equipment in removing over a dozen agents. The strategy involved transferring all the agents to new contracts to limit exposure and thereafter consulting with and advising in relation to the process of terminating and negotiating settlements. All agents were removed at a significantly lower cost prior to any legal proceedings being issued.
- Advising the subsidiary of a US household name manufacturer in relation to the termination of 6 agents and subsequent negotiated settlements of claims for compensation.
- Drafting agency contracts for a US clothing manufacturer.
- Arbitration proceedings issued under ICC rules against a Hungarian defendant. Claim for compensation and “pipeline” commissions successfully concluded at an early settlement meeting with a substantial payment to the agent including costs.
- A claim against a bulk handling equipment manufacturer for compensation and pipeline commission
Commercial Sales Agency: Webinar For Principals
Meet Our Specialists
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Adam is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Litigation Team
Suzanne is a Senior Associate in Myerson’s Dispute Resolution Team
Lianne is an Associate in our Commercial Litigation Team
Robert is an Associate in our Commercial Litigation Team
Latest News & Insights
Keep up-to-date with the latest legal news and our expert opinion.