Our Married or Civil Partnership Property Ownership Disputes Service

When couples are married or in a civil partnership, their property is often a central component of their life together.

However, when a marriage or civil relationship breaks down, the rules governing property division differ significantly from those relating to cohabiting couples or unrelated joint property owners.

Understanding the distinct legislations in such cases is of key importance, and our Family lawyers can help.

At Myerson Solicitors, we specialise in navigating the complexities of property ownership disputes involving married and civil partners, offering specialist legal advice to ensure fair and practical resolutions for our clients.


Contact Our Property Lawyers

Our Property Dispute Lawyers

Myerson's property ownership dispute solicitors understand how stressful divorce and division of property can be for married couples or those in civil partnerships, so we aim to provide efficient dispute resolution.

Our property litigation teamwork with solicitors in our family law team to deliver complete independent legal advice.

We have experience assisting unmarried couples, married couples, those in civil partnership arrangements, and joint tenants with property disputes.

Rest assured, Myerson's dedicated team of property dispute lawyers is committed to easing the burden and delivering effective solutions during these challenging times.


Get In Touch With Myerson Solicitors

Why Work With Our Property Ownership Dispute Team

  • We have been ranked as a Top Tier law firm by the Legal 500 for the last seven years.
  • You will have access to the full Property Litigation and Family law experts across Myerson.
  • You will receive city-quality property and family legal advice at regional prices.
  • We provide a partner-led service to ensure you receive the best legal advice and commercially-minded support.
  • We have a large team which is capable of meeting your deadlines.
  • We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently.
  • We use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible and that geographical distance is no bar to us from providing excellent client service.
  • We were the winners of ‘Property Team of the Year 2021’ at the Manchester Legal Awards.
  • Look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.

Contact Myerson Solicitors Today

Property Ownership Disputes FAQs

What are my rights if my name is not on the mortgage, but I'm married?

It matters not that the property is in the name of your spouse or civil partner.

All assets belonging to either party, including property, can be treated as marital assets or be open to dispute on divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership.

If you would like further advice on divorce or dissolution of civil partnership, please get in touch with Myerson Solicitors' Family lawyers.

My spouse/civil partner and I are getting a divorce; can I keep the house?

Even though your home may be in your spouse or civil partner's name, under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 and Civil Partnership Act 2004, you can seek an order for sale, or, that the property be transferred to your sole name.

Do married couples/civil partners have home rights?

Married couples and civil partners have home rights.

This means that, even if you do not own the property jointly or contribute to the mortgage payments, you may still have a financial interest in the home and you may be able to apply for a Home Rights Notice, which gives you a right of occupation pending the conclusion of your divorce/dissolution of civil partnership.

Our property litigation solicitors, alongside our family law team, can help joint tenants handle their homes after their marital or civil partner relationship ends.

Meet Our Property Ownership Dispute Solicitors

Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our Property Ownership Dispute lawyers are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.

Jane Tenquist

Jane Tenquist

Jane is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Team

Nichola Bright

Nichola Bright

Nichola is a Partner in our Family Law Team

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah is a Senior Associate in our Family Law Team

Contact Us

Book your consultation using the below enquiry form. Alternatively, you can call us on

0161 941 4000