- Download The Guide For Financial Provision For Unmarried Couples
- Financial Rights of Unmarried Couples
- Why Work With Our Family Team?
- Child Maintenance
- The Rights Of Unmarried Couples | Common Law Spouse
- Financial Support For Unmarried Parents Videos
- Meet Our Family Solicitors
- Contact Myerson Solicitors
- Latest Myerson Family Law News
Financial Rights of Unmarried Couples
There is no such thing as a “common law” spouse. However, protection for unmarried partners does exist.
In some cases, separated couples can make a claim against property under the Trusts of Land and Appointed Trustees Act 1996 (TOLATA).
For advice in relation to a potential property claim against a former partner, please contact a member of our property litigation team.
Financial claims for unmarried couples with children
Unmarried people who have dependent children have significant potential financial claims under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989. This can include:
- Financial claims for housing: usually housing is provided for the duration of the child’s minority.
- Lump-sum orders: to fund capital needs, such as for the purchase of furniture, contents, motor vehicles or removal costs. Repeat applications for lump-sum payments can be made.
- School fees orders: the court can order one parent to pay for school fees.
- Legal services orders - the court has the power to order a parent to pay the legal fees of the applicant parent.
- Child Maintenance - this would usually be dealt with via the Child Maintenance Service save in limited circumstances
Why Work With Our Family Team?
- Our specialist family law solicitors are experts in complex, high-value divorce, and family disputes.
- Our family law solicitors are recognised by the Legal 500.
- Our family team are all members of Resolution, the largest organisation of family lawyers in the UK, and are dedicated to dealing with matters in a non-confrontational and constructive way.
- Our team were shortlisted for the family law firm of the year (North) and financial remedies team of the year (National) at the Lexis Nexis Family Law Awards 2022.
- Our team work closely with other departments internally, including property, employment, corporate and commercial lawyers, to ensure that your financial needs are protected comprehensively.
- We provide a partner-led service to ensure you receive the very best legal advice and support for your family law issues.
- We have a large team of expert solicitors and can meet your deadlines.
- We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently.
- We use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently. Geographical distance is no bar to us from providing excellent client service.
- We provide regular legal updates via our blogs, social media and local radio appearances.
- Look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.
To work out how much child maintenance is payable, please refer to the child maintenance calculator.
In most cases, child maintenance will be dealt with by parental agreement, or in default, after an assessment is carried out by the Child Maintenance Service.
The court retains jurisdiction to make child maintenance orders in the following limited circumstances:
- Where the payer lives or works overseas
- For expenses in relation to a disability
- School fees
- For expenses in relation to continuing education at university in some circumstances
- When the payer earns in excess of £156,000 gross per annum, the payee can apply for a “top-up” child maintenance order once a maximum child maintenance assessment has been put in place by the Child Maintenance Service.
The Rights Of Unmarried Couples | Common Law Spouse
Financial Support For Unmarried Parents Videos
Meet Our Family Solicitors
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our family lawyers are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Jane is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Team
Nichola is a Partner in our Family Law Team
Sarah is a Senior Associate in our Family Law Team
Rachel is an Associate in our Family Law Team
Grace is an Associate in our Family Law Team
Pam is a Senior Legal PA in our Family Law Team
Contact Myerson Solicitors
Latest Myerson Family Law News
You may be planning to take your children away over the Christmas period to visit friends and family who do not live close by or to have a festive holiday. If this is your plan, you need to be aware of the legal requirements in relation to...Read Blog
Resolution is a group of family law professionals who are committed to promoting a constructive approach to family issues that consider the needs of the whole family. The annual Resolution Awareness Week takes place in the last week of November...Read Blog
The festive period is a time for families to come together. However, child contact arrangements over Christmas can be difficult to navigate for parents who have separated, particularly in reaching an agreement as to who spends time with the...Read Blog
There is a popular misconception that the payer needs to pay spousal maintenance pursuant to a joint lives order until the death, remarriage or cohabitation of his or her ex-spouse. Historically, joint lives orders were made to protect the...Read Blog
The Court will consider a list of factors under section 25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 when deciding how assets, including any compensation/ damages received, will be decided on divorce. The welfare of any children of the family will be a...Read Blog