Clara specialises in the administration of estates and trusts, and also advises on Wills and tax planning. She is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP). She regularly assists clients in drawing up Wills which are tailored to their specific circumstances and advises on inheritance tax issues. Clara has extensive experience in dealing with complicated and taxable estates. She is used to dealing with difficult family situations. Clara is also able to advise on the use of trusts and set up trusts within the Will or during lifetime. She has valuable experience in administering trusts and advising Trustees.
Clara completed her legal studies and training in Leeds. After completing her training contract in 2009 she worked for Oxfordshire firm, Bower and Bailey, and specialised in Wills and Probate. She joined Myerson in 2013 and has gained extensive experience in dealing with complex estates and trust administration. She completed the STEP diploma in Trusts and Estates in 2014 and was promoted to Senior Solicitor in 2016.
Clara received the following testimonial on the Legal 500:" Clara Staunton is an exceptional private client lawyer. She combines a natural rapport with clients, with an ability to articulate complex matters in a straightforward manner."
Expertise and Past Cases
Examples of Clara’s notable work:
- Advising business clients on structuring of their Wills to make the most of any inheritance tax reliefs available while, at the same time, protecting assets for the family.
- Dealing with a taxable estate and with assets in different jurisdictions.
- Advising a wealthy family on gifting for IHT purposes and creating lifetime trusts for them.
- Dealing with an estate where there were very difficult family circumstances and the executors did not get along.
- Guiding elderly clients through the process of making Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney, ensuring that they understand the legal implications.
Clara is known for putting clients at ease, giving practical advice and explaining complicated legal principals.
Our legal services are underpinned by our knowledge and expertise in the following areas.