Why Choose Myerson?

Our dedicated separation agreement solicitors have extensive experience in drafting separation agreements and advising those who have recently separated.

We understand that each client has specific requirements and needs which is why we ensure that we deal with your concerns carefully and with sensitivity. 

If you would like to talk to us, in confidence, about how we can help, please call us on 0161 941 4000, or contact us online.

Separation Agreements FAQs

What is a separation agreement?

A separation agreement records the financial agreement reached by a couple upon separation. If parties are not agreed on the terms of separation, it is not possible to enter into a separation agreement. Both parties must agree to the terms of the written agreement. This might include:

  • Who continues to live in the home?
  • Who pays the household bills/mortgage or rent?
  • What happens to any savings, financial assets or other tangible joint assets?
  • What happens to joint debts, loans or overdrafts?

To ensure that a separation agreement is drafted accurately, each party must be willing to disclose all information about their finances. This is known as ‘financial disclosure’.

It is important that each party receives independent legal advice. Neither party should feel pressured to sign an agreement.

When would you need a separation agreement?

In certain situations, couples are not ready to divorce each other or may have religious reasons for not wishing to terminate their marriage. In these instances, a separation agreement can be used to record and formalise the terms of the separation.

This doesn’t mean that the couple cannot get a divorce at a later stage.

How to get a separation agreement

A separation agreement can be legally enforceable provided it is entered into:-

  • By way of deed;
  • After full financial disclosure has taken place;
  • After each party has received independent legal advice; and
  • Provided that the terms of the agreement are fair and reasonable.

Separation agreements are commonly used by couples who subsequently divorce after two years’ separation.

If a couple is unable to agree on financial terms on separation, a separation agreement may not be viable and further options would need to be investigated, such as divorce or judicial separation proceedings.

What are Judicial Separation Proceedings?

If the couple are not decided on financial separation, it may be appropriate to resolve financial issues by way of Judicial Separation Proceedings (also known as legal separation).

This is a legally recognised separation; however, the couple will remain married. This may be used when a couple does not want to divorce or may wish to divorce in the future, but still want a record of their separation.

This differs from a separation agreement as financial issues can be resolved through the court process. In divorce and judicial separation proceedings, the court has powers to make financial orders.

Meet Our Specialists

Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.

Jane Tenquist

Jane Tenquist

Jane is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Team

Nichola Bright

Nichola Bright

Nichola is a Senior Associate in our Family Law Team

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah is a Senior Associate in our Family Law Team

Rachel Forster

Rachel Forster

Rachel is a Solicitor in our Family Law Team


Contact Us

You can contact a member of our team using the contact form below or by phoning us on


Latest news & Insights

Keep up-to-date with the latest legal news and our expert opinion.