Richard is the Chief Operating Officer for the firm.
Richard has grown the Myerson commercial property practice from just one person to nearly 30 people over recent years. Richard gained an upper second class honours degree in Law before specialising as a commercial property lawyer at North East commercial firm Muckle. He then worked at national law firm Hammonds (now Squire Paton Boggs) before joining Myerson in 2000.
Richard has been a Legal 500 recommended lawyer for many years and is described by the independent legal directories as having “good technical knowledge and commercial common sense”, is "personal and very knowledgeable" and is "brilliant".
Richard maintains a strong practice of commercial property investment and development clients alongside his responsibilities for leading the Myerson Property Group and, as a senior equity partner, being heavily involved in the management of the firm as a whole.
Richard’s vision has been to develop a full service property offering, encompassing all areas of property advice. This vision has now been fully realised with the addition of teams providing both contentious and non-contentious construction advice and the further development of a team delivering property litigation advice of the highest quality. These areas complement our existing core commercial property, residential development and high quality residential property services.
Expertise and Past Cases
Richard has particular expertise in acting for investor and developer clients, and given his experience is seen as a trusted advisor for many clients owning or developing property.
Recent notable cases that Richard has worked on include:
- Leading a team of solicitors acting for a developer in the supported living sector regarding numerous acquisitions and disposals of the completed property to pension funds.
- Advising the family office of a wealthy individual concerning the acquisition of multiple properties to add to their substantial commercial property portfolio.
- Acting for the owner of a substantial industrial site on the sale of the site to a developer conditional upon gaining planning for the construction of warehouses.
- Acting for the owner of an industrial estate on the sale of the estate to a regional housebuilder.
- Acting for a property investment company concerning the acquisition of a series of substantial retail properties.