Our Homeowner Enfranchisement Service
If you are a homeowner tenant with a leasehold residential property, then our leasehold enfranchisement solicitors can help you with the freehold purchase or the lease extension of your home or building as long as you meet certain qualifying criteria.
Buying the freehold of your home or building or securing a lease extension is important if you have less than 80 years left on your lease; otherwise, obtaining a mortgage or selling your home can be difficult. Also, the premium payable for a lease extension can increase significantly if you have less than 80 years left on your lease. Taking steps to get a lease extension or buy the freehold ensures your home investment is protected for the future.
Myerson's Property Litigation Team has extensive expertise in guiding homeowners through the enfranchisement processes of buying a freehold and securing lease extensions. Our enfranchisement lawyers can advise you on the following:
- Purchasing the freehold of a house
- Extending the lease of your house or apartment
- Collective enfranchisement (where multiple or groups of tenants of flats want to buy the freehold of a building or block of flats)
- A tenant's right of first refusal when the freehold of a building or block of flats is being sold
- Rights to manage buildings and blocks of flats (where tenants take on the management of a building or block of flats without buying the freehold)
The legal process normally starts with the service of a section 42 notice (or tenant's initial claim notice) or section 5 notice (notice to purchase freehold) on the freeholder landlord. We review the landlords’ notice in reply or section 45 notice response and then guide you through the process to secure the transfer of the freehold or the grant of a lease extension to you.
Our Leasehold Enfranchisement lawyers make what can be a difficult and stressful process seamless for homeowners. Our expert enfranchisement lawyers deal with every aspect of the freehold purchase process in a can-do and efficient manner by our Promise. We will provide you with a no-obligation quote at the outset detailing all our legal costs for securing your freehold purchase or leasehold extension.
We also act for groups of homeowner tenants in connection with collective enfranchisement procedures.
Why work with us?
- We have been ranked as a Top Tier law firm by the Legal 500 for the last seven years, and Myerson and are a Top 200 law firm.
- You will have access to the full leasehold property experts across Myerson.
- You will receive city-quality property advice at regional prices.
- We provide a partner-led service to ensure you receive the best legal advice and commercially-minded support.
- We have a large team which is capable of meeting your deadlines.
- We are a full-service law firm operating from a one-site office, which means our teams communicate effectively and efficiently.
- We use the latest technology to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible and that geographical distance is no bar to us from providing excellent client service.
- We were the winners of 'Property Team of the Year 2021' at the Manchester Legal Awards.
- Look at the Myerson Promise for further benefits of working with us here.
Meet the Team
Laura is a Partner and Head of our Property Litigation Team
Heather is a Partner and Head of our Residential Property Team
Jennifer is an Associate in our Property Litigation Team
Annie is an Associate in our Residential Property Team
Olivia is an Associate in our Residential Property Team
Latest Myerson Property Litigation News
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic seemingly having come to an end in recent times in the UK, uncertain times remain in the hospitality and leisure sector . However, this has led to an interesting property litigation trend in the landlord-tenant...Read Blog
The Building Safety Act was introduced due to the Grenfell disaster in 2017. Having obtained Royal Assent in April 2022, the Act’s primary aim is to control building safety risks in order to secure the safety of people within or around buildings...Read Blog
Thank you to everyone who attended our Myerson Annual Property Update 2023. Topics include: The state of the market and outlook for the next twelve months Reviewing the Building Safety Act 2022 Property insolvency in 2023 Case law update ESG issues...Watch Webinar
Myerson Solicitors, a leading UK law firm, is thrilled to announce the launch of its new Property Portal, a comprehensive online platform that brings together a wealth of property-related information, resources, and services. The portal aims to...Read News