Commons Act Registrations

Commons Act Registrations

Common land is land that is owned by one person but another person is entitled to exercise rights of common over the land.

There are five main classes of rights of common which are:

  1. A right to graze animals on somebody else’s land;
  2. A right to fish in somebody else’s water;
  3. A right to dig turves or peat from somebody else’s soil;
  4. A right to take wood from somebody else’s land;
  5. A right to take sand, gravel, stone and minerals from another’s soil.

It is important for an owner of land whether the land is common land because if it is common land then a third party can exercise rights over the land and there may be restrictions on whether the owner can develop the land.

Town and village greens can be registered as common land if certain criteria are met.

We are able to advise on any applications to register common land and disputes that may arise as a result of this.

How We Can Help

A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.

To discuss Commons Act Registrations issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.

MSI Global Alliance

Myerson is the Manchester and Cheshire law firm member for MSI Global Alliance, a top 20 ranked, international association of professional firms.

Learn more...


Myerson act for a wide variety of clients across various sectors.

Learn more...


Read what a selection of our clients have to say about us.

Learn more...

Myerson Promise

We proudly offer our clients a promise which is at the cornerstone of everything we do. We always keep your specific concerns at the forefront of our minds.

Learn more...

Myerson Solicitors LLP
Grosvenor House, 20 Barrington Road, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 1HB
Tel: +44(0)161 941 4000
Solicitors Regulation Authority
MSI Global
Law Society
Legal 500