Property Rights of Unmarried Couples

property rights

The law relating to married couples differs to the law relating to un-married couples.

The Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (TOLATA) applies to unmarried couples who are involved in co-habitation disputes. If agreements regarding property cannot be reached either between the parties themselves, via mediation or the collaborative process, court proceedings will need to be issued.

Joint property

If a property is in joint names, registered as a joint tenancy, both parties have an equal and identical interest in the property or the net proceeds of sale of that property.

The starting point for the court is that the parties shall have a 50% share each. If one party believes they made greater contributions to the property than the other then it is down to them to prove this. The court will consider the actions and contributions of both parties in making a decision in relation to each party’s interest in the property.

If the property is in joint names but is held as tenants in common, the share of each owner will be specified, for example, in a Declaration of Trust. If there is a Declaration of Trust, it is unusual for there to be any departing from this, even if one party has contributed much more financially.

However, it is important that both parties entered into the Declaration freely and received independent legal advice at the time.

Property in the sole name of one party

If a couple live in a property which is held in the sole name of one party, it may be possible for the non-owner party to establish an interest in the property. There are various ways in which an interest can be established, the most common being direct financial contributions by the non-owner party.

If the non-owner can establish that direct contributions were made by them towards the property or mortgage, this may result in an interest proportionate to the amount contributed. Evidence of financial contributions is crucial and it is therefore important to ensure that monetary contributions are transferred electronically, from one account to the other, or directly towards the mortgage, so that bank statements can be produced if necessary.

Additionally/alternatively, if the non-owner can prove that the parties intended that the property be held jointly, and, as a result of this, the non-owner acted to their detriment, they may be able to establish an interest.

This would include either express discussions between the parties or behaviour that would be seen to reflect the intention to hold the property jointly. Making financial contributions to the property would be sufficient to show that the non-owner acted to their detriment.

How We Can Help

A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.

To discuss Property Rights of Unmarried Couples issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.

MSI Global Alliance

Myerson is the Manchester and Cheshire law firm member for MSI Global Alliance, a top 20 ranked, international association of professional firms.

Learn more...


Myerson act for a wide variety of clients across various sectors.

Learn more...


Read what a selection of our clients have to say about us.

Learn more...

Myerson Promise

We proudly offer our clients a promise which is at the cornerstone of everything we do. We always keep your specific concerns at the forefront of our minds.

Learn more...

Myerson Solicitors LLP
Grosvenor House, 20 Barrington Road, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 1HB
Tel: +44(0)161 941 4000
Solicitors Regulation Authority
MSI Global
Law Society
Legal 500