Detailed, useful information about further financial provision for children.
What claims do you have under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989?
- Limited child maintenance claims ( as explained on our child maintenance page)
- Lump sum payments
This can include payments to renovate and adapt a house, provision for a car, payments for a nursey and layette. There can be multiple applications. You are not limited to making one single application
- School fees order
- Transfer of property/ Settlement of property
You can apply for an order for housing provision for yourself and your child. You are limited to one single application. Usually, the property is not transferred outright to you, but you are provided with rent free housing during the child’s minority. Generally, the house reverts back to the other parent once the child reaches his majority
- Legal fees
You are able to apply for an order for costs against the other parent. This assists those parents who have no other, or limited means, to pursue their legal rights against the other parent.
What will the court look at when assessing your claim?
- The financial needs of your child;
- The income and earning capacity (if any), property and other financial resources of your child;
- Any physical or mental disability of your child;
- How you, as parents, intended to educate your child;
- Each of your respective earning capacities, property and other financial resources; and
- Each of your respective current and future financial needs, obligations and responsibilities
In addition to your potential claims under the Children Act 1989, you may also have a potential claim against your ex- partner for capital provision under The Trust of Land & Appointment of Trustees Act 1996. Further information is available at Property Rights for Unmarried Couples
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Further Financial Provision For Children issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at email@example.com or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.