Our Service

If you are unable to agree the amount of child maintenance, you will need to make an application to the Child Maintenance Service. You can either use the Direct Pay Scheme or authorise the Child Maintenance Service to collect maintenance at source. The Direct Pay Scheme is a way of avoiding the Child Maintenance Service administration charges. Parents are able to use the on-line Child Maintenance Service calculator.

Child Maintenance Orders and the courts

The court has limited powers to make orders for child maintenance. An order for child maintenance can only be made by the court when:

  • Parents are agreed on the level of maintenance payable. However, after a period of 12 months, either parent can apply for a formal assessment from the Child Maintenance Service as the order is not effective after 12 months;
  • There is to be a school fees order;
  • There are step children or disabled children;
  • There are children whose parent lives overseas;
  • The paying parent’s income is so high that it exceeds the maximum amount that the Child Maintenance Service can collect. If a maximum assessment is made by the Child Maintenance Service, the parent with care can apply to the court for a “top up” order for child maintenance.

When the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) will not get involved

The CMS will not have jurisdiction if:

  • The paying parent or child lives outside the jurisdiction;
  • The child is of university age;
  • There is a claim for school fees;
  • There are children who have a disability;
  • The paying parent has a very high income.

What if the Child Maintenance Service get it wrong?

You can contact the CMS and set out the details of your complaint. If you are still unsatisfied, then make a formal complaint to the complaints service at the CMS.

If the complaints service does not resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can ask the Independent Case Examiner (ICE) to review your complaint. https://www.gov.uk/complain-independent-case-examiner. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/independent-case-examiner.

If, after exhausting all these routes, you are still dissatisfied, it may be possible for you to seek compensation through the courts. The CMS has produced guidance on whether compensation should be paid.

Contact Us

Our Approach & Our Experience

We understand that not seeing your child every day is one of the hardest things about separation.

Our specialist solicitors can support and advise you as to your practical and legal options, tailored to your circumstances, as we know that every family is different.

If you would like to talk to us, in confidence, about how we can help, please call us on 0161 941 4000, or contact us online.

Contact Us

Our Promise & Core Values

Our Promise

The Myerson Promise - Our Partners, team of lawyers and support staff commit to giving our clients more.

To always give you clear, jargon-free advice.
To be completely transparent about our fees from the outset.
Progress every matter in an efficient and timely matter.

Our Core Values

Our core values are at the centre of everything we do.

We are always professional but ensure that we are friendly and approachable.
We are determined and enthusiastic about supporting our clients and our people.
We willingly take responsibility and can be relied on to be commercial, effective and efficient.

Meet Our Specialists

Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.

Jane Tenquist

Jane Tenquist

Jane is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Team

Nichola Bright

Nichola Bright

Nichola is a Senior Solicitor in our Family Law department

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah is a Solicitor in our Family Law department


Contact Us

Book your consultation using the below enquiry form. Alternatively, you can call us on