Preparing For Brexit
Brexit Hub ›
Get the latest updates on COVID-19
Get Updates ›

Can I change my child’s name?

If you wish to change your child’s name, you will need the written consent of all of those with Parental Responsibility. This will always include the child’s mother and in most cases, the child’s father. Please refer to our Parental Responsibility section for more information.

Parents may wish to change their child’s name due to various reasons. Can you please share example situations where someone might want to change a child’s name?

  • To enable a child to have the same surname as a step-sibling or stepparent
  • To double barrel a child’s surname to incorporate both parents’ names
  • If a child no longer has any contact with the parent whose surname they have

Changing a child’s name without permission

If you cannot obtain the written consent of all of those with Parental Responsibility, you can apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order to change your child’s name. This should only be used a last resort as court proceedings can be expensive, lengthy and can increase animosity.

Our family solicitors can advise on how you can resolve the issue amicably via negotiation or mediation. Mediation involves an independent, trained professional mediator speaking to both parties and attempting to agree on a mutual arrangement.

If mediation is unsuccessful, we can advise on the necessary next steps which may include applying for a court order. Usually, the court will only change a child’s name if there are compelling reasons for the change and the change would benefit the child’s welfare.

For example, it is unlikely that a mother would succeed on an application to change the child’s surname to her own, on the basis that she has separated from the father, if the father remains involved in the child’s life.

How can Myerson family team help?

Our experienced family lawyers and solicitors can help advise you on the necessary steps to take to change your child’s name.

We have experience working with different families, with different needs so we can offer a bespoke service to suit your family.

If you would like to talk to us, in confidence, about how we can help, please call us on 0161 941 4000, or contact us online.

Meet Our Specialists

Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.

Jane Tenquist

Jane Tenquist

Jane is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Team

Nichola Bright

Nichola Bright

Nichola is a Senior Associate in our Family Law department

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah Whitelegge

Sarah is a Senior Associate in our Family Law department

Gabrielle Dugan

Gabrielle Dugan

Gabrielle is an Associate within the Family Department

Vikki Noone

Vikki Noone

Vikki is a Trainee Solicitor within the Family Team


Contact Us

Complete the form below or alternatively you can call us on

0161 941 4000