Family-friendly rights include maternity, paternity, adoption and parental rights as well as flexible or part-time working.
Family-friendly rights are constantly developing so that they better support modern working families. More women are holding senior executive positions in businesses and the developing rights aim to remove the stereotypical view that the mother is always the primary carer for the child.
The number of surrogate babies is also rising and with this we are seeing a change in the rights for couples who use a surrogate. For example, from April 2015, couples who use a surrogate have the following rights:
- the right to adoption leave and adoption pay; and
- the right to unpaid parental leave (for up to 18 weeks until the child is 18 years old).
We provide advice on all aspects of family-friendly rights including rights for surrogate parents.
Examples of the work we have carried out recently include:
- Advising a senior HR employee on maternity leave in relation to a potential discrimination claim arising from her selection for redundancy, securing a significant exit package for her.
- Advising another employee on maternity leave in relation to the right to be offered an alternative role because her role had been made redundant whilst she was on maternity leave.
- Bringing claims for sex and pregnancy discrimination in relation to women treated less favourably whilst pregnant or on maternity leave, including claims resulting in significant payments of compensation.
- Advising on the right to request flexible working and the process that employers must follow when such a request is made.
- Providing training on Shared Parental Leave and the entitlements now available to leave and pay for mothers, fathers and adopters.
If you would like assistance in relation to family-friendly rights, please contact a member of our Employment department. Our Family department can also provide you with advice regarding family law (including advice on assisted reproduction and surrogacy).
Why use Myerson’s Employment Team?
Our specialist team of employment solicitors is described in the independent Legal 500 directory as “excellent”. In addition, both Partners in our team are recommended by the Legal 500. Therefore, you can be reassured that you will deal with some of the best employment solicitors in the country.
We are determined and robust on your behalf, but also easy to deal with and clear in our advice. We will fight your corner but understand that a common sense approach is often required in order to find solutions that work for you in the context of your professional and personal circumstances.
Collectively, we have over fifty years’ experience of providing strategic employment law advice to senior individuals and others facing difficult work-place issues and who need support and guidance in:
- understanding their legal rights and their practical options; and
- achieving the best possible outcome, whether at the start, during or at the end of their working relationship.
Our ethos is to provide our clients with an alternative to the major regional and national firms by offering high quality legal advice from highly experienced, specialist lawyers, but on a much more cost-effective basis.
In particular, we offer:
- Clear and straightforward advice.
- Cost-effective support and certainty on costs where you need it.
- Extensive experience of advising senior executives, directors, partners and others with complex employment concerns, including discrimination issues and group claims.
- A credible team that is used to dealing with and acting against large employers and law firms on behalf of our clients.
Our approach to costs
We know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients. As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs involved in undertaking any piece of work at the outset. We then provide costs updates on a regular basis.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives for a particular piece of work and in relation to costs. In addition, we are happy to discuss fixed fees and retainer arrangements if that is helpful to you.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Family-Friendly Rights and Surrogacy issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.