Employees (and workers, partners and agency staff) are protected from being discriminated against on the grounds of their sex, age, race, religion and belief, disability, pregnancy and maternity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status, fixed term status and part time status.
These are known as “protected characteristics”. If you are discriminated against because of a protected characteristic you are entitled to bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal for compensation.
There is no qualifying period of employment required to bring a discrimination claim and no cap on the level of compensation that can be awarded. In addition, compensation can be awarded for “injury to feelings” as well as financial losses that result from discrimination. Therefore, employers need to treat these claims seriously (as well as whistleblowing claims which are similar and also have unlimited compensation).
How we can help
Our specialist employment solicitors have extensive experience in dealing with all types of discrimination claims. We regularly act for individuals where discrimination is a concern. This includes dealing with discrimination issues that arise during disciplinary proceedings or grievances, as well as in the Employment Tribunal. Often, we act for individuals who have discrimination concerns but remain in employment, or the discrimination concerns are raised as part of negotiating exit terms.
We also regularly advise individuals on maternity leave who have problems with their pay, their return to work arrangements or changes to their jobs while they are absent.
We can be strident and robust where appropriate, including when dealing with the largest of employers or professional organisations on behalf of our clients. However, we also always take into account the sensitivity of a situation and our clients’ professional and personal circumstances.
Recent examples of our work in this area include:
- Advising an employee in respect of a claim of age discrimination and unlawful compulsory retirement resulting in a settlement sum in excess of £150,000
- Acting for an employee of a major retailer on maternity leave, negotiating with her employer to achieve exit terms when she was told she could not return to her previous role after her maternity leave
- Supporting NHS staff, including Consultants, and University staff, including senior academic staff, with grievances about their treatment at work, including damage to their health, disability discrimination and equal pay
- Representing various individuals in relation to discrimination claims (including maternity discrimination, disability discrimination, the duty to make reasonable adjustments and equal pay) against former employers, leading to the achievement of six figure settlement sums
Why use Myerson’s Employment Team?
Our specialist team of employment solicitors is described in the independent Legal 500 directory as “excellent”. In addition, both Partners in our team are recommended by the Legal 500. Therefore, you can be reassured that you will deal with some of the best employment solicitors in the country.
We are determined and robust on your behalf, but also easy to deal with and clear in our advice. We will fight your corner but understand that a common sense approach is often required in order to find solutions that work for you in the context of your professional and personal circumstances.
Collectively, we have over fifty years’ experience of providing strategic employment law advice to senior individuals and others facing difficult work-place issues and who need support and guidance in:
- understanding their legal rights and their practical options; and
- achieving the best possible outcome, whether at the start, during or at the end of their working relationship.
Our ethos is to provide our clients with an alternative to the major regional and national firms by offering high quality legal advice from highly experienced, specialist lawyers, but on a much more cost-effective basis.
In particular, we offer:
- Clear and straightforward advice.
- Cost-effective support and certainty on costs where you need it.
- Extensive experience of advising senior executives, directors, partners and others with complex employment concerns, including discrimination issues and group claims.
- A credible team that is used to dealing with and acting against large employers and law firms on behalf of our clients.
Our approach to costs
We know that clarity on costs is vitally important to our clients. As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs involved in undertaking any piece of work at the outset. We then provide costs updates on a regular basis.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives for a particular piece of work and in relation to costs. In addition, we are happy to discuss fixed fees and retainer arrangements if that is helpful to you.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Equality and Discrimination issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at email@example.com or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.