There is a growing trend amongst businesses, of all sizes, in the development and marketing of mobile and device applications which run on smartphones or tablet computers, more commonly known as Apps.
There can be lots of pitfalls and complexities involved in drafting legally compliant App terms and conditions. Issues App developers need to consider include:
- ensuring the intellectual property rights in the App are properly protected;
- if the App is intended to be used in a consumer setting, complying with consumer legislation;
- having licensing terms that work with the App store’s own terms;
- whether the App is to be provided as part of a wider subscription service and the terms of such service provision.
It is also important to ensure that the various rights in relation to the App software are dealt with correctly and clearly to avoid future disputes relating to any future use of the App software.
We have significant experience in advising client in relation to Apps and recent examples of our work in this area include:
- Drafting of App terms and conditions for a start-up developer of new technology, including an App which intends to address parental concerns regarding child safety on social media platforms and an App which enables the booking and purchase of entertainment services;
- Drafting App terms for a start-up developer providing Apps to cover the access of the App by parents and drafting the subscription agreement for the App to be entered into with schools;
- Advising a new-start up on it’s on-line digital downloaded content, drafting on-line terms and conditions for the supply of digital content;
- advising a range of clients in relation to a variety of other agreements relating to Apps such as App user licences, App development agreements, and App privacy policies.
Our team of Tech specialists are predominantly from our Corporate/Commercial department which is ranked Top Tier - Tier 1 by the independent Legal 500 directory. In addition, Partners in our team are recommended by the Legal 500. You can be reassured that you will deal with some of the best Corporate/Commercial Solicitors in the country.
Our ethos is to provide our clients with an alternative to the major regional and national firms by offering high quality legal advice from highly experienced, specialist solicitors, but on a much more cost-effective basis.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that we meet their expectations both in terms of their objectives for a particular piece of work and in relation to costs. We are easy to deal with, clear in our advice and understand that a common sense approach is often required.
As standard practice, we give our clients an estimate of the costs involved in undertaking any piece of work at the outset. We can then provide costs updates on a regular basis. In addition, where appropriate, we are happy to discuss other pricing models (for example, fixed fees and retainer arrangements) if that is helpful to you.
Meet Our Specialists
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Carla is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Team
Scott is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Team
Andrew is a Partner in our Corporate Commercial Team
Book your consultation using the below enquiry form. Alternatively, you can call us on
Latest news and Insights
Keep up-to-date with the latest legal news and our expert opinion