At Myerson, our award-winning team will assist you with all aspects of your commercial development. We believe that development projects are team efforts, both internally within our real estate team and, more importantly, with our clients, their contractors and their professional teams. We know that one of your prime concerns is likely to be timescales and managing cash flow. Our team is responsive and proactive and will work to solve any problems quickly to avoid funding gaps and keep your project on track.
Our commercial land development lawyers are experts in all aspects of commercial development and will work with you to achieve your objectives, whatever the size of your project and your level of experience. We provide a truly start to finish service and can advise you on projects from site assembly, through to the construction, delivery and sale or letting of completed units.
Our team are very experienced in dealing with land developments of all types, whether acting for the developer, a land promoter or the landowner. This means that we are best-placed to anticipate the issues which will concern each party and to understand the most appropriate negotiation tactics to use at each stage of a transaction.
- Provide practical advice on title issues affecting the viability of the proposed land development and work with you to overcome potential obstacles to development.
- Assist you with reviewing and finalising heads of terms once an agreement has been reached.
- Help you to acquire the development sites by way of options, conditional contracts, promotion agreements and purchases.
- Where property is subject to third party occupational interests, work to obtain vacant possession to allow development to proceed.
- Ensure that sites are accessible to service media and work with your services engineers to procure acceptable rights where required.
- Deal with oversailing rights, works compounds, rights to erect scaffolding, party wall and rights of light issues.
- Deal with development funders and forward funding agreements.
- Liaise with our corporate team in the use of joint venture vehicles for development with third parties
- Work closely, in conjunction with our construction team, with your project manager, architect, planning consultants, contractor and professional team to assist them with legal issues that arise during the development and prepare and negotiate appropriate documentation.
- Prepare for the disposal of the scheme including contracts to dispose of leasehold or freehold interests on the completion of the development works.
- Liaise with your property managers to ensure that the use of common facilities and the charging for services is in accordance with their plans for post-completion management of the property.
- Acting for the developer of 2 St Peter’s Square, Manchester. The scheme provided over 160,000 square feet of grade ”A” office space over 11 floors with ground-floor retail and basement undercroft parking and services facilities. We have worked with the owner/developer in facilitating the site assembly, obtaining vacant possession, dealing with a party wall, rights of light and oversailing issues as well as the actual demolition and reconstruction of the building, working particularly closely with the landlord’s construction and professional team.
- Acting for a developer to assemble a site with planning consent designed to construct an environmentally friendly holiday home facility in ancient woodland in Cornwall.
- Acting for the landlord of Sevendale House, Manchester in connection with the redevelopment of the property and the subsequent letting of the office space. The offices are spread over five floors. A variety of leases have been granted at the office complex including a substantial lease of several floors to Ticketmaster UK and also smaller office suites of around 1,000 square feet to small businesses.
- Dealing with the site assembly of a large brownfield regeneration site in the West Midlands. The site was assembled using a combination of conditional contract and option agreements and included addressing a number of complicated issues such as the remediation of the site and the absence of title to a strip of land running through the middle of the site.
- Acting for an owner-occupier in connection with the development of a 30,000 square feet building to house its rapidly expanding staff numbers including dealing with the land acquisition and construction of the building and associated services.
- Acting for the developer in connection with the redevelopment of a town centre anchored by a retail supermarket. This included dealing with the site assembly from a number of different landowners, liaising with the Local Authority and securing public realm works, putting in place an Agreement for Lease with the supermarket operator, dealing with the funding of the development and the forward sale to a pension fund.
Meet Our Specialists
Home-grown or recruited from national, regional or City firms. Our specialists are experts in their fields and respected by their peers.
Joanne is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Property Team
Mark is a Partner in our Commercial Property Team
Andrew is a Partner in our Commercial Property Team
Ian is a Legal Director in our Commercial Property Team
Charlotte is an Associate in our Commercial Property Team
Emily is an Associate in our Commercial Property Team
Sarah is an Associate in our Commercial Property Team
Sidrah is an Associate in the Commercial Property Team
Donna is a Legal PA in our Commercial Property Team
Vikki is a Trainee Solicitor within our Commercial Property department
Karam Bhatti is a Trainee Solicitor in our Commercial Property Team