Collective labour issues continue to be prevalent even as the economic climate starts to improve.
Many businesses are continuing to need to effect collective redundancies and reorganisations and our experience is that unions are increasingly challenging businesses’ actions.
For those companies with associations with trade unions, it is very important to manage the relationship and agreements with those unions in order to reduce the risk of industrial action.
Our team of specialist employment solicitors has extensive experience of advising on collective consultation and collective labour issues.
We act for a number of clients who have relationships with trade unions and we have wide ranging experience in advising on collective agreements, trade union recognition and negotiations and consultations with trade unions in order to achieve effective resolutions.
We are also able to advise employee representatives and groups of employees in cases where there has been an employer failure to comply with obligations (including those to inform and consult) in connection with collective redundancies and TUPE.
Recent examples of our work in this area include:
- Implementing a collective consultation process for a FTSE 250 company that needed to terminate its final salary pension arrangements for employees
- Advising an international manufacturing company in relation to its negotiations with trade unions and employees over several tranches of significant numbers of redundancies
- Advising a household name education client in relation to collective grievances, successfully preventing a matter from progressing to strike action by employees
- Assisting a training body with union negotiations in order to avoid industrial action
- Advising a national retail business on an application for trade union recognition and the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC) process
- Advising a national employer on the validity of a strike ballot and negotiating with the union and its lawyers over ending industrial action
- Advising a national employer on picketing rules and the management of industrial action
- Assisting a national retail client with drafting union consultation arrangements
- Assisting a chemicals business with the terms of its union recognition arrangements
For further advice and assistance on any collective labour issues, please contact a member of our employment team.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Industrial Relations and Collective Labour Issues issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.