We act for both Landlords and Tenants in relation to the letting of retail premises and owner occupiers wishing to purchase their retail property.
Our Landlord clients range from property companies and individuals with large portfolios to pension funds and individuals seeking a long term secure investment. Retail property is one of the most accessible forms of commercial property investment and we deal with retail property across the whole country.
Our retail tenant clients range from well-known national retailers with large portfolios, smaller independent retailers with a number of retail outlets, or individual traders operating from a single retail outlet.
Our solicitors have vast experience in dealing with the letting of all different types of retail premises from large units within shopping centres or out of town retail parks to high street lock-up shops or secondary and tertiary retail parades.
Our solicitors also have experience of the other leasing arrangements in the retail sector, such as franchise leases and concession agreements in shopping centres or larger stores.
We can assist both Landlord and Tenants with all aspects of the letting of retail property including:
- Negotiating and advising on heads of terms
- Drafting and negotiating leases
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for lease
- Negotiating licences for alterations including advising on reinstatement provisions
- Making licence to assign applications including advising on the conditions a landlord may be able to attach to any consent
- Advising on break clause issues
- Advising on rent reviews
- Advising on “green lease” clauses and the green deal
- Advising on issues such as rights of light and covenants affecting the landlord’s title
- Advising on security of tenure and the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Dealing with the service of landlord and tenant act notices at the end of an existing lease
- Dealing with renewal leases, including leases by reference to the existing lease and reasonable updating of the lease in the context of the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Advising on deeds and surrenders of leases
We can assist retailers who are looking to purchase their own property including:
- Advising on the heads of terms agreed for the purchase
- Advising on the purchase structure in conjunction with your other advisers e.G. Should the property be purchased in your own name, joint names with others, through a limited company, an llp or a private pension scheme
- Dealing with the investigation of the title to the property
- Carrying out all necessary property searches in relation to the property
- Raising the appropriate enquiries of the seller to ascertain the required level of information about the property
- Dealing with the requirements of any funder or other third party interested in the purchase
- Dealing with the stamp duty land tax formalities
- Ensuring that the property is registered at the land registry, including registering any security over the property
Examples of our recent work include the following:
- Acting for one of the country’s leading and largest independent DIY and home stores, in relation to a 25 year lease of a purpose built 53,000 sq ft superstore site. We are advising in relation to the agreement for lease, lease and finance arrangements for the fit-out as well as negotiating with the landlord in relation to its service charge and estate charge structure.
- Acting for Akzo Nobel Property Group and Dulux Decorator Centre in relation to all of their leasehold property requirements across England and Wales. Their UK leasehold estate runs to more than 180 stores.
- Acting for the landlord of a retail and leisure destination in the management of their property estate in order to ensure that leases are in a standard institutional grade form and the estate is managed in the best possible way to enhance both the local environment and the asset value
- Acting for an independent chain of coffee shops in relation to their properties across the North West
- Acting for a juice bar operator in relation to its roll-out through shopping centres around the country
- Acting for a chain of independent estate agents in relation to their various shops throughout the North West
- Acting for a property company in connection with the redevelopment of a property and the letting to a national retail brand
- Acting for a pharmacy operator in relation to the relocation from one property to a better positioned property including ensuring that the tenant obtained the necessary regulatory approvals to the relocation
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Retail issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.