We act for both Landlords and Tenants in relation to the letting of office premises and owner-occupiers wishing to purchase their offices.
Our Landlord clients range from property companies and individuals with large portfolios, to pension funds and individuals seeking a long term secure investment.
Our solicitors have vast experience in dealing with the letting of all different types of office premises, from the letting of a whole building to floors or part floors of offices within larger office complexes, or units within a shared business park or science and technology park.
We can assist both Landlords and Tenants with all aspects of the letting of office property including:
- Negotiating and advising on heads of terms
- Drafting and negotiating leases
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for lease
- Negotiating licences for alterations including advising on reinstatement provisions
- Making licence to assign applications including advising on the conditions a landlord may be able to attach to any consent
- Advising on break clause issues
- Advising on rent reviews
- Advising on “green lease” clauses and the green deal
- Advising on issues such as rights of light and covenants affecting the landlord’s title
- Advising on security of tenure and the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Dealing with the service of landlord and tenant act notices at the end of an existing lease
- Dealing with renewal leases, including leases by reference to the existing lease and reasonable updating of the lease in the context of the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Advising on deeds of variation and surrenders of leases
- Ensuring that service media facilities are sufficient to service it demands and communication equipment. Sometimes there are requirements for external communication equipment to be located on the roofs of buildings or separate use of plant or other equipment.
- Advising on service charges. Landlords usually need to provide full services to buildings or estates which are shared by a number of tenants. They then need to ensure that the cost of such services which are incurred can be adequately funded and recovered. Tenants will be concerned to ensure that services are of a standard they would expect for a building of the type they are taking, and the payments they make are used for the provision of common facilities within the building or estate that they are occupying
- Advising on any separate car parking arrangements that may be required
We can assist individuals or businesses who are looking to purchase their own offices including:
- Advising on the heads of terms agreed for the purchase
- Advising on the purchase structure in conjunction with your other advisers e.G. Should the property be purchased in your own name, joint names with others, through a limited company, a llp or a private pension scheme
- Dealing with the investigation into the title to the property
- Carrying out all necessary property searches in relation to the property
- Raising the appropriate enquiries of the seller to ascertain the necessary level of information about the property
- Ensuring that service media facilities are sufficient to service it demands and communication equipment. Sometimes there are requirements for external communication equipment to be located on the roofs of buildings or separate use of plant or other equipment
- Dealing with the requirements of any funder or other third party interested in the purchase
- Dealing with the stamp duty land tax formalities
- Ensuring that the purchase is registered at the land registry
Examples of our recent work include the following:
- Acting for the landlord of Sevendale House, Manchester in connection with the redevelopment of the property and the subsequent letting of the office space. The offices are spread over five floors. A variety of leases have been granted at the office complex including a substantial lease of several floors to Ticketmaster UK and also smaller office suites of around 1,000 square meters to small businesses and owner-occupiers
- Acting for the developer of 2 St Peters Square, Manchester in connection with the development of over 160,000 square feet of grade ”A” office space. We have been involved in the redevelopment and pre-letting of office space at this high profile office development in the heart of Manchester. We have been acting in preparing agreements for the grant of leases to tenants who will be taking parts of the building once the development works have been completed. We have also worked with the owner/developer in facilitating the actual demolition and re-construction of the building, working particularly closely with the landlord’s construction and professional team
- Acting for the landlord of The Peninsular Building, Manchester. The Peninsular Building is a sixteen storey landmark office building in Manchester City Centre, which overlooks Victoria Station and comprises more than 250,000 square feet. We have acted on behalf of the Landlord in connection with the grant of commercial leases to various tenants within the building, including a number of whole floors
- Acting for a tenant of three floors of an office property in London where the landlord was seeking to exercise a break in order to redevelop the property, but the client had security of tenure. Advising the client as to the options available to them and the commercial pressure they were able to bring against the landlord and assisting them in coming to an agreement to surrender the leases. We subsequently advised the client on a lease of a new-build property in central London.
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Offices issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at email@example.com or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.