We act for both landlords and tenants (operators) in relation to the letting of licensed premises, including public houses, restaurants and hot food takeaways.
We also act for owner occupiers looking to purchase their licensed premises.
Our clients range from landlords with large property portfolios of licensed premises, to pension funds owning single properties, restaurant operators and takeaway owners.
We can assist you with all aspects of the acquisition of licensed premises including:
- Undertaking pre-contractual due diligence, including title investigation and handling conveyancing searches
- Drafting and negotiating the agreements for sale
- Advising on the procedure for the transfer of the premises licence to the new user
- Handling the transfer of the premises licence to the new user following completion of the acquisition
- Advising in respect of the statutory regulations concerning gaming machines at the premises
- Contacting the local licensing authority and local police to check whether there are any adverse matters affecting the licence, such as notices and disputes
We also act for both Landlords and Tenants in relation to the letting of all types of licensed premises.
We can assist you with all aspects of letting of licensed premises including:
- Negotiating and advising on heads of terms
- Drafting and negotiating leases
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for lease
- Negotiating licences for alterations including advising on reinstatement provisions
- Making licence to assign applications including advising on the conditions a landlord may be able to attach to any consent
- Advising on break clause issues
- Advising on rent reviews
- Advising on “green lease” clauses and the green deal
- Advising on issues such as rights of light and covenants affecting the landlord’s title
- Advising on security of tenure and the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Dealing with the service of landlord and tenant act notices at the end of an existing lease
- Dealing with renewal leases, including leases by reference to the existing lease and reasonable updating of the lease in the context of the landlord and tenant act 1954
- Advising on deeds of variation and surrenders of leases
- Advising on competition act issues such as anti-competitive behaviour or price fixing
Examples of our recent work include the following:
- Acting for a property company that owns more than 50 licensed premises throughout the North of England, including dealing with the acquisition and disposal of individual or groups of properties, the leasing of properties to operators and the financing arrangements associated with the portfolio
- Acting for a property company that leases a high profile celebrity-haunt restaurant in Manchester to an operator, including dealing with the lease negotiations
- Acting for a well-known restaurant operator in relation to their various restaurant properties including dealing with those properties which are leased and others which are owned by the operator
- Acting for an owner-operator in relation to the development of a new restaurant on Manchester’s Curry Mile
How We Can Help
A member of our specialist team will be happy to help.
To discuss Licensed Premises issues, please either use the contact form on the right, email us at email@example.com or call us today on +44(0)161 941 4000 to speak to a member of our team.