Post Title: Private Client Solicitor (around 0-5 years' PQE)
Department: Wills, Trusts & Probate
Reports to: Head of Department
Assisting partners and senior solicitor and conducting own work under supervision on a wide range of private client matters. The clients are predominantly high net worth individuals and business owners. The estates and trusts we administer range from very minor to several million pounds, often with a foreign element.
Typical matters are:
- Preparation of tax efficient wills
- Inheritance tax mitigation advice
- Use of lifetime trusts, often in connection with Family Investment Companies
- Administration of estates (very typically taxable estates or estates with some complicating factor)
- Administration of trusts
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Applications to the Court of Protection
Main Duties And Responsibilities:
- Gain an understanding of clients’ requirements and how to achieve their needs
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients
- Give accurate prompt, realistic and relevant advice in response to clients’ enquiries whilst managing their expectations.
- Draft documents to achieve clients’ instructions; draft letters and notes to convey complex advice
- Maintain good records and manage the progress of matters
- Completion of tax returns and estate accounts
- Actively work to convert enquiries into new matters.
- Support senior fee earners with marketing opportunities, including; writing blogs and press releases, and to be pro-active in networking and business development.
- Ensure proper file management.
- Ensure all time recording is accurate.
- Ensure billing is completed to agreed timescales.
- Maintain confidentiality in line with the firm’s policies and procedures; including dealing with confidential documents.
- Keep abreast of changes in legislation, case law and carry out legal research.
- Promote and comply with legislation and Myerson’s policies on equal opportunities and health and safety both in the delivery of services and the treatment of others.
- Identify and undertake training and development as required in order to meet personal and business needs.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties, commensurate with the level of the post so as to ensure the efficient running of Myerson.
This job information cannot be all encompassing. It is inevitable over time that the emphasis of the job will change without changing the general character of the job or the level of duties and responsibilities entailed. This information may be periodically reviewed, revised and updated in consultation with the post holder to reflect appropriate changes.