Development – Commercial
Our solicitors are experienced in acting for clients concerning the development of land and buildings for commercial purposes.
This includes the development, either speculatively or with an established pre-let, of office premises, retail premises including supermarkets and other large stores, industrial buildings and warehouses.
We act as an integral part of the client’s development team of professional advisers working together to bring about the completed development.
We know that it can be important for tax and other reasons to structure the transaction properly. To assist with this we can advise you, in conjunction with our Corporate team, on joint venture, partnership and profit-sharing arrangements, and on the use of options, conditional contracts, development agreements pre-emption rights and promotion agreements. We will ensure that, in this complex area, our advice is always clear and makes good commercial sense.
We can assist with all types of commercial property development including:
- Land acquisition including forward funded purchases
- Site assembly
- Development funding
- Long-term asset management
Examples of our recent work include the following:
- Acting for the developer of 2 St Peter’s Square, Manchester, in connection with the development of over 160,000 square feet of grade ”A” office space. We have been involved in the redevelopment and pre-letting of office space at this high profile office development in the heart of Manchester. We have been acting in preparing agreements for the grant of leases to tenants who will be taking parts of the building once the development works have been completed. We have also worked with the owner/developer in facilitating the actual demolition and re-construction of the building, working particularly closely with the landlord’s construction and professional team
- Acting for the landlord of Sevendale House, Manchester in connection with the redevelopment of the property and the subsequent letting of the office space. The offices are spread over five floors. A variety of leases have been granted at the office complex including a substantial lease of several floors to Ticketmaster UK and also smaller office suites of around 1,000 square meters to small businesses and owner/occupiers
- Acting for an owner-occupier in connection with the development of a 30,000 square feet building to house its rapidly expanding staff numbers including dealing with the land acquisition and construction of the building and associated services
- Acting for the developer in connection with the redevelopment of a town centre anchored by a retail supermarket. This included dealing with the site assembly from a number of different landowners, liaising with the Local Authority and securing public realm works, putting in place an Agreement for Lease with the supermarket operator, dealing with the funding of the development and the forward sale to a pension fund
We also specialise in Residential Development issues. Find out how we can assist you here.